The Poulsbo Farmers Market is proud to be a local institution known for promoting small business growth through our fun Saturday markets.
We run a long-season market, which spans from the first Saturday in April through the last Saturday before Christmas. Our vendors bring in nearly $500,000 worth of revenue each year, which funnels directly back into our local community. By working at the Poulsbo Farmers Market, you will help foster small businesses, support local farms, and provide healthy, fresh, sustainable foods to our community. PFM is a great place to work and shop!
The market is currently looking for a Market Assistant! If you or anyone you know would be a fit for this job, send them this page!
MARKET ASSISTANT JOB POSTING - apply by May 6th
The Market Assistant is a part-time seasonal position, approximately 12-15 hours per week April through December with some light work January through March, that supports the Market Manager in the operation of the Market to ensure a successful and vibrant season. The Market Assistant facilitates the set up, break down and staffing of the Market booth on a week to week basis. Additional, as needed the Market Assistant also welcomes and acts as the liaison to the musicians and non-profit booth guests.
Under the guidance and direction of the Market Manager for the Poulsbo Farmers Market (PFM), the Market Assistant will be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Facilitates the set-up, tear-down and proper storage of market tables, chairs, displays and signage, traffic control barriers, market tents and other PFM property.
- Ensures the market site is clean at the end of each market day.
- Work with vendors to ensure efficient set-up and take-down of the market.
- Acts as liaison for musicians, non-profit booth guests and special event guests.
- Supervises volunteers as directed by the Market Manager.
- Maintains a safe market environment.
- Assists with the management and operation of EBT/Credit/Debit machine.
- Staffs PFM Information Booth.
- Answer inquiries regarding the market.
- Assist customers and vendors as needed during market operation.
- Maintain positive relationships with all vendors, stay current with vendor offerings, and maintain communication with vendors.
- Assist with enforcement of Market Rules and Regulations.
- Assist with the monitoring of market vendor products to ensure that products being sold have been accepted by the PFM Board.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work at the farmers market location specified by the PFM Board of Directors, which is outside and involves all weather. The PFM does not have a centralized office location; therefore the Market Manager must be able to work from another location on record keeping, correspondence, planning, and other PFM activities.
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to manage others
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Clear and organized work habits, positive attitude, and flexibility
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Able to work with minimal direction
- Enthusiastic advocate of local food and products
- Commitment to local food, nutrition, health, and wellness
- Good computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Educational requirement: minimum junior in high school, preferred high school diploma
- Experience with farmers markets or Washington agriculture preferred
- One year of 4H or FAA experience, or one year experience in customer service or retail
- Familiarity with Poulsbo and Kitsap County
- Ability to work Saturdays during the market season
- Be a licensed driver in the State of Washington with a safe driving record.
- Lifting 40 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Frequent standing and walking
- Occasional driving
- Frequent bending, twisting and reaching
- Occasional squatting and climbing
- Ability to distinguish sounds at various frequencies and volumes
- Ability to distinguish people or objects at varied distances under a variety of light conditions
- Ability to withstand noise changes in the work environment
This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated on this job description.
Conditions and Benefits:
- This is a part-time, flexible position with hours ranging 12 to 15 hours per week during the PFM season, and very limited time in the off-season, under the guidance of the PFM Board
- Compensation commensurate with experience.
- This is a paid position, with no benefits or vacation
- Job Type: Part-time
- Required education: High school or equivalent
Point of Contact:
Please send resume and cover letter describing why you would like this position to
Please submit all applications by May 6th.